Sunday, November 9, 2014

Red Soiree !

Blow a kiss if Red is your color ! I have been told that mine is , so :-* :D

How many times have you seen a very expensive red saree in a store and thought to yourself "I can totally get this made myself ! ". Well.. I had that moment when I saw Kareena chammak challo-ing in Ra One ! lol zz
So I bought a plain red chiffon saree and a crappy gold border (it was the best I could manage in the non-fashion conscious city I lived in :-/ ) and put the look together with a gold blouse.. and my mom was like - "what were you thinking ??? "
Since them I have come a long way ... phew !



On Indian wedding scene (yes. when it comes to Indian weddings , we do have a scene ! ) red color is 'default' (u guessed it right - I am in IT :p) . 'must have'. 'important as oxygen'. 'cant do without'.. got the point ?
As much as the above statement is true, equally true is that most of us steer clear of red on red unless we are super confident (um not ) . And red and gold is a match made in heaven, no one dare break them apart :P

For me, Bollywood is a major fashion inspiration when it comes to traditional wear and off late, a lot of B town babes have been spotted wearing plain red sarees with interesting twists. Take a look and some inspiration on how absolutely DIY these looks are !

Plain Red saree with an interesting border :
Border is something that puts the saree in the category of plain or fancy. More elaborate the border, higher the price of the saree !

 

Red saree + Broad elaborate gold border (my saree looked exactly like the first pic :P )
Red saree + sequined red border : elegant evening dinner wear
Red saree + thin gold border : Casual occasion wear

Plain red saree with creative blouse
Most common statement in saree world : A blouse can make or break a saree look ! So true !
Since the saree is plain, you can go all out with the blouse. My fav is mirror work blouses by Arpita Mehta.. take a look !

 

If you feel that red and gold look has already been done to death (I think its ever green though ) then you always have an option of going the contrasting route :


 

Plain red saree + a minimalistic colored border + an intricate design blouse = designer wear !

In my opinion, I would rather invest in a unique blouse than a designer saree coz those are the ones that really up the quotient and can be mixed and matched !

Another tip : If you dont want the plain saree and would like to for that extra mukaish work, CTC in Delhi has white mukaish work sarees that can be dyed into any color you fancy !

You are welcome ;) :P


I had very funny expressions on in this pic .. so u dont get to see the face ! lol
But ya .. this was my first attempt at DIY red saree ..

If you have done this too .. send me pics !!

xoxo :)

1 comment: