Friday, January 24, 2014

Fashion Sense and Sensibilities

Hello there ,

Where was I all this while ? Well .. I was touring my neighborhood malls to see whats cooking new :) And I have come back with lots of questions , observations and knowledge about the cultural difference in fashion across continents .

One very basic thing about international fashion that I have known since I picked up my first copy of Cosmopolitan is that Europeans dress up for everything , Americans do it casual as much as they can, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans do it cute and we Indians .. well we do it all ! And thats why all fashion houses are crowding in India these days .

So there are niche markets for all kinds of fashion but as much as I have seen, European fashion tops it all. It appeals to all and that explains the rush in stores like Zara in most of the American malls. Zara, Mango, Promod, Vera Moda, Only, Jack & Jones are some stores you will find in almost ALL popular malls in Indian metros and they are all Europeans ! what does that tell us people ? go figure :D





Whats most popular in the US right now is 'cropped top' - something which would be a rare sight in India or even on Indians living abroad. Thats where fashion sensibilities deviate .
Looks super cute on localites here .. but I cant really imagine myself or anyone I know (even with the fittest bods ) carrying this off as easy . And there are many more such trends that might find themselves in the not so popular category in India. I appease myself with "they cant carry off a sari like me either ! " lol !

So I guess the 'on trend' stuff that I have happily brought home today .. will be promptly exchanged tomorrow for more 'my kinda' stuff :(
Btw .. these are what I picked up from Zara (I feel the orange palazzo pants are going back :-| )
The emerald maxi skirt, orange palazzo pants and yellow T were on sale. The striped top is part of their new collection.



have you had any such thoughts when you went out shopping in a foreign land people ?

xoxo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment