Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tie it Right !!

Hi There !!

Today I was not in a very good mood so I thought I'll do a post for the guys :p lol !!
But seriously .. don't you cringe at the sight of mismatched belts and absurd ties ?? My heart aches when I see a well built guy (who has the potential of looking good ! ) dressed in a sac :( Such a turn off ..

So I felt that I should contribute my 2 cents for my male friends so that they thank me when they get compliments !!
And girls, after gaining the super knowledge of recognizing a mismatched tie, please curb the urge of pointing it out right away !! Me ? Oh I have never done that :p



Since most of the guys I know are in IT, lets start with teaching them how to match their ties to their shirt .
Honestly , a mismatched tie is not a look killer , but its definitely a distraction (in the bad way ! ) You wear ties on casual shirts ( a la Ranbir Kapoor) , on formals in office (think hrithik roshan ! ) and in parties ( alright shahrukh khan ) , so knowing a bit about the thin strip of cloth will go a long way ..

Rule 1 :  What is the base color of your shirt ?
Its a no brainer if its a solid shirt, and if its a checks shirt (or plaid as the americans like to call it ) - you can choose either the color of the stripes as the base color or the color of the rest of the shirt.
once your base color has been established , choose your tie in similar or contrast color !!

 

On a casual white shirt , you can wear what ever color u like and can carry off (I would love to see a guy wearing white shirt with a yellow tie and blue jeans ! ) . On a multi shade checks shirt , take your pick of the color and wear a similar color tie (on the darker side of course )

Rule 2 : Slim ties are in vogue these days and personally I feel they look cute on boys :D But you can go horribly wrong if you wear them with shirts that have big collars. Reserve your slim ties for shirts with small collars and wear regular size ties with regular size collars. The idea is -  keep it proportional !
 

Rule 3 : Keep in mind the tie patterns. e.g. on a solid color shirt (btw, solid color means 1 color plain shirt guys ! ) you can wear a patterned (with circles, or stripes or any other design) tie and on a patterned shirt you can either go for a plain tie or a tie that has a complimenting pattern. Here are a few visual aids.

plain shirt => contrasting plain tie / patterned tie in similar color
 

small pattern shirt = plain tie / big pattern tie
 

big pattern shirt = plain tie/ small pattern tie
 
And finally the universal rule  - Your tie should reach your belt buckle. ALWAYS !
and did I mention that you should always pick a tie that's darker than your shirt ? Yeah, I did now :D

If you have any questions .. put them in the comments people and I'll be happy to answer :D

xoxo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment